Train with the only progressive Classical Pilates studio in Melbourne
Our job is to help you understand what real Pilates is. No gimmicks, pure and deep and tailored to meet you as you are. Moving your body never felt so good!
Welcome to our North Melbourne Pilates studio; where our highly specialised methodology and instructors are waiting to treat you to something wonderful, the original Pilates method through a progressive lens. No matter where you’re starting from, come as you are, we will do the rest, together.
We take your resources and interests seriously and look forward to offering you private or small group tuition based on your current health, future goals and preferred learning environment. This is also the reason we don’t accept casual or drop-in clients to your group classes, because we put you first.
“If you’re looking for actual Pilates and a road-map to your body, you’ve come to the right place.”
We offer two ways of training at The Movement Refinery
- Private tuition to ensure you are taught the complete Pilates method systematically based on where you’re at when you commence with us. Some clients train in this mode short-term to prepare for group classes and others stay in the programme for years. We look at your entire body and movement system and in a diligent manner, offer you the benefits of the work, without distraction, competition or timeline.
- A shared experience – This begins with some private tuition, small group new client course, potentially some review private sessions and then you’re ready to join our group class programme.
Whether you intend to stay training 1:1 or join our group programme when it is the right, your initial series (including a new client course) may include the following
- Introduction to fundamentals of human movement with exercises to work on at home based on your current state and movement goals
- an orientation to basic Mat, Cadillac and Reformer exercises
- classical repertoire and sequences on the Reformer
- the original Pilates mat sequence
- pre-pilates exercises with the Tower apparatus sequences such as arm springs standing and supine and leg spring selections to solidify your body awareness, postural connections and movement capabilities addressed in our earlier sessions
- Use of the Pilates chairs (Wunda, Electric, Baby) and Barrels (spine corrector, Ladder Barrel) to support your physical wellbeing and Pilates experience
- Customisation of the original work to you, today
To ensure that all clients have a positive experience our group classes have a physical entry criteria; you will be asked to demonstrate each part prior to joining our group induction. As we are a Classical Pilates studio we build to the fuller work of Joe Pilates and look to introduce full range of movement. We do this to demonstrate our care for you, reducing the risk of injury while exercising and to maintain the pace and training benefits in the group
We offer private sessions for those requiring the space to nurture and support injuries, post-rehabilitation processes, pregnancy and post-partum care as well as education around pain, comfort and high performance.
Train With Us – Expression Of Interest
The Movement Refinery is a haven of movement, exercise and community. We take your time and efforts seriously and hope to find the best fit between our instructors, services and prospective clients; we may not be able to sign you up on your timeline and ask for your patience.
Please complete this enquiry form and we will be in touch to advise you of our availability and sign-up process. Note that this form is for administrative purposes, you will be asked to complete a second induction form focussing on your medical and movement history when you commence with us.
While we have your attention ….
We are a tiny studio and only have room for clients who are able to train within our community guidelines. We appreciate you have a busy life and ask you to only commence with us when there is ample space mentally, physically and within your calendar. We are going to fully commit to your Pilates education and can’t wait for your results!
“Contrology is designed to give you suppleness, natural grace, and skill that will be unmistakably reflected in the way you walk, in the way you play, and in the way you work.”